Friday, November 28, 2008

Here's a classic one

My favorite genre of poetry writing when I was 12 was the "animal with a kooky name has a crazy experience" poem. You know the kind. Anyway, this old favorite was rather archetypal of my middle school days:

Octopus Egor and his Encounters with Homer
the Psychic Smelt and a Fish Named Sven

This story I'm about to tell you
May not sound like it is true
But yes indeed, I do not lie
About Octopus Egor, who did not try

Octopus Egor wasn't that bright
He did not know wrong from right
He lived down in the water blue
Where he was happy, it is true

Now Egor, he was full of might
Although he wasn't very bright
There was one thing he had to know
That's what his future had to show

He went to see a psychic smelt
Named Homer and the future he telt
He asked him what he saw ahead
Would he wind up beached and dead?

Would he meet a lady oct?
Would they have a lovely talk?
"What's in store for me?" he cried
And this is what the smelt replied:

"Go down to the water blue
There is a fish that once I knew
Tell this fish you are my friend
This little fish, his name is Sven.

He knows all, more than me
He'll tell you what your future will be
Hurry now before it's dawn,"
And with that, the smelt was gone

Egor hurried along his way
To make it before dawn next day
Sven lived in the water blue
Which to Egor, was really nothing new

When Egor arrived at the fish's lair
He noticed an aroma in the air
It reeked of cheese and tuna cans
Of asparagus and pickled spam

"Come in," said Sven. "And take a seat.
I have for you a tasty treat
A complimentary can of spam
But first, tell me who I am."

"You are Sven," Egor said
"Homer sent me here instead
Cause I need your advice to know
What my future has to show."

"Ah," said Sven. "I'll tell you now.
As I see it, you'll buy a cow
You'll grow corn and barley too
A farm is what's in store for you."

"Thanks," said Egor and he was on his way
Tomorrow was another day
This poem is over, now I'll end
This story of Egor, Homer and Sven.


I guess it didn't occur to me that an octopus is going to have quite a hard time starting up a farm. Especially the kind of farm that has a cow.

2 comments:

  1. It is also pretty difficult for there to be an aroma in the air when you live under water....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your 12-year old struggles with rhythm. You just really wanted to fit all those words in there.

    ReplyDelete