Thursday, November 27, 2008

I found my old poem books from 7th grade and decided to start a blog

Background: When I was in 7th grade, I thought I was a poet. My BFF of the day, G, and I spent much of our time together (whether in person or over the phone) writing poems. We trusted our poetry-writing skills to a delusional degree, believing ourselves to be capable of publishing our work. Well, that never panned out, but maybe it's not too late to share my work with the world!

My first entry is appropros to today, being that it is Thanksgiving. In fact, this gem is titled, simply, "Thanksgiving Day":

Thanksgiving Day
We give our thanks
To those we love
And those who save our lives
We eat the turkey by the pound
And gorge on pumpkin pies
The Pilgrims and the Indians started long ago
This feast we call Thanksgiving
That everybody knows
Cranberry sauce and candied yams
Rosemary bread and roasted hams
Daddy carves the turkey
Mother cleans the plates
I will eat the food
I'll tell ya, it was great!
Wow. That was embarassing to go back and read. I remember trying so hard to sound sincere and reflective. Did I succeed?

1 comment: